ARE SPACE HEATERS A GOOD ALTERNATIVE FOR HEATING YOUR HOME?
We read an article by John Hall on space heaters just recently, and it was only a day later that I had one of our customers ask me a question about the space heater that the Amish were promoting in the media. My honest answer is that space heaters are a solution, but not always the best solution. I then gave him several alternatives in order to save money on his utility bills.
Homeowners are always trying to save money when it comes to their heating and cooling system costs. The conventional alternatives have been to do one of the following:
- Get a programmable thermostat and set back the temperature for multiple time periods through out the day.
- Add insulation to your attic, crawl space, or walls.
- Just set your thermostat at a lower setting and wear a sweater or grab a blanket.
- Insulate your windows to create another barrier.
- Seal around your doors and windows.
However, there has been a lot of advertising promoting space heaters as a viable means of lowering your heating and cooling costs. These alternatives are fine for a small defined area but do not address whole home solutions. And if you buy multiple space heaters, you defeat the purpose of saving money.
By installing a whole house humidifier and keeping the home at the correct relative humidity (35% to 40%), you can feel warmer and lower your thermostat setting. This makes more sense to me, and the family is more comfortable.
Contact Our Experts For More Information
Contact our experts online or by calling us at 636-239-3581 for more information about humidifier installation.